CALL FOR PAPERS: EU ON THE MOVE

14 octobre 2019

EU on the Move

2019 is a year of change and reflection for the European Union as it prepares to welcome the new President of the European Commission and a new body of commissioners on November 1. All eyes are on Brussels as analysts predict the next five years of European policy, both foreign and domestic. How should the new Commission move forward on key issues such as promoting election security in the digital age? What steps can the member states take to address migration amidst international pressure and the urgent crisis in Libya? How should the EU address the climate crisis under the spotlight of environmental activism across Europe? How will the new agenda affect policy-making within Europe and overseas?

At the same time, the EU’s new leadership will also confront a shifting global political order where mounting tensions between major players in China, Russia, and the US create uncertainty for the future of international cooperation, and the influence of Europe’s “soft power.” What strategies must this Commission adopt to advance European interests in this polarized political climate, and what role should the EU play on the shifting world stage?

We want to hear your analysis, ideas, and recommendations on any of the above questions in an original policy paper on “EU on the Move.” In submitting your paper, you will be competing with your peers for the chance to have your article published on the Policy Corner website at policycorner.org. The Policy Corner is an inclusive, independent platform for students and young professionals to publish research-based articles on global issues. All articles are subject to double-blind peer review, providing contributors constructive feedback on their argument and writing.

Submission Details

Papers must be submitted by November 8, 2019, 23h59.

Papers must be submitted via email to (paris2020@policycorner.orgin either .doc or .docx formats. In order to submit the best article possible, please familiarise yourself with our submission requirements and the format of articles on the Policy Corner website. Please note that we only accept and publish articles which conform to these criteria. Submission emails should include the following information, not appearing on the paper itself:

Your name

Title and word count of your document

Your age

Your current location

Information on your age, name, and location will neither be shared with the review team nor with the jury.

Papers must address a topical issue area, challenge, or initiative and make potentially actionable and innovative policy recommendations.

Papers must be between 800-1000 words

The Financing of Water: Putting the Trust in Conservation

31 mai 2020 Energie et environnement

The reliability and quality of freshwater resources depends on a variety of environmental factors. As policymaking often takes place in silos when it comes to financing water security, we need a more holistic approach to the protection and provision of freshwater resources. By encouraging water trust funds that allow for a decentralized and nature-based approach to water governance, countries can better tackle challenges of water security and improve the health of ecosystems. 

Rebecca Sands

Increasing the Legitimacy of Advocative NGOs Through Representation

20 mai 2020 Politique et société

Advocacy NGOs often face challenges from political actors questioning their legitimacy. A new approach of introducing electorates nationally or regionally to grassroots organizations might protect them against such political attacks, and also serve to increase their legitimacy. The Hungarian Independent Student Parliament provides a potential model that could be replicated in other similar NGOs in and beyond Hungary.

Gáspár Bekes

Restoring Trust and Building Bridges: Addressing Online Radicalization in Africa

17 mai 2020 Paix et sécurité

Terrorists use the internet and social media to radicalize youth by exploiting general distrust in governments. African governments have responded to this threat by passing politically motivated internet limitation laws, which only exacerbate existing grievances and mistrust. Instead, African governments should build upon existing models of community policing and embrace an inclusive regional community online policing consortium through the leadership of the African Union.

Catheline Bosibori Nyabwengi and Grace Atuhaire

The Policy Corner

This call for papers is organized by the Projet Collectif at Sciences Po, Paris.